Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 24th, 2014

Dear Family,
This first week here in Peru has been absolutely fantastic! I arrived lateTuesday night, and got put straight to work! The first day was a bunch of orientation stuff, which normally I'd be way bored during it, but I wasn't because I'm here on the Lords errand serving my Savior. The food here is so wonderful, even though we have juevos every morning and arroz con pollo for every lunch and dinner, but there are more options we can choose from as well. 
My second day in we learned so much that I could barely hold it all in, but I think it has all settled in now. We were all interviewed by our branch presidency, and I was called to be the district leader, only my second day in! It has been such a huge blessing already to serve with such valiant young men and women, and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful district that looks to me for advice and help. Oh also on my second day they were giving haircuts, and I didn't think I needed one, but the hair cutting guy tapped my shoulder to get my hair cut. I think he just really wanted to cut my hair. 
So that wasn't it for the excitement of Thursday... Some investigators were brought in so that we could teach them, and they were friends of one of the teachers here and they spoke a little English.. Well as we all talked with them, I was prompted to give them a book of Mormon, and so I did! Turns out the next day, one of the investigators was my teacher. That's something I will have to laugh about!
There has been so much going on this week, but I only have such little time, because a lot of our computers are down, so this is what I would like to share with you.
As I have only been here in the CCM for 1 week, I notice Christ and his atonement every single day constantly. It has amazed me as I have stepped back from the world, and I am here now, how many tender mercies I see on a daily basis. I have been blessed so much with the language. It has come to me so easy, and I feel comfortable speaking with a lot of the people here on the streets. There is one language common to everyone, and that is the language of the spirit. I know this because as I went through the temple today I didn't quite understand everything, but I knew exactly what was going on because the spirit was so strong!
I love you all, this Church is true!
Love Elder Thorpe
P.S. sorry I only had 30 minutes to write, so tell everyone I will write them allnext Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment