Monday, March 14, 2016

March 14th, 2016

Through all of the struggles and trials that I have faced as a missionary, there has always been one thing that has lifted me up and has given me hope, and that is the love that my Father in Heaven has for me. As an imperfect son of a perfect father I think often of the parable of the prodigal son, and that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me and awaits for my return. We might struggle and feel alone when in reality, God is here for us and is watching over us with his angels. I think often of the story in the Bible when Elisha shows to his servant the power of God and the love that he has for his children by sending horses and chariots of fire to protect them. (2 Kings 6:15-17)
This last week I've been thinking a lot about Charity. Not just thinking about it but as well as trying to apply it even more in my life. One of my favorite chapters in the Bible is 1 Corinthians 13 when Paul speaks to the members of the church on Charity. If we have no charity we truly are nothing. If we are not pure in heart we aren't able to have this love for other people. We might have all the knowledge of the world and even be a person that other people look up to, but if we don't have charity, we are nothing. I love verse 11.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
This has been something that I have tried to apply to my life, especially being here on my mission. I understand that when I was younger I made mistakes and probably acted as a child, but now as I have been able to reflect back on those times and see the person that I am now, I've realized that I have changed in my thoughts, actions, attitude, but most importantly in my heart. 
I truly do love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is all about change and all about love. I have been able to see the truthfulness of it in the lives of so many people but probably most importantly in my own life. I can't say that I am perfect and that I always do exactly what my Father in Heaven wants me to do, but I feel like I am progressing and that I am getting there. 
What a huge blessing it has been to be here on my mission. I know that the Gospel is true. I know that we have a loving Father in Heaven that lives and loves us. Christ is the redeemer of the world and he lives. I know that through him and his gospel we can change and become the people that our Father desires us to be. I will never be able to doubt the truthfulness of these things because they have all been testfied to me through the Holy Spirit. What greater calling can I have than to share these things with all my brothers and sisters.
I love you all so much and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Elder Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment